06 July, 2009

Bing and Google; Bing vs Google

Very few would argue that Google isn't on top of the pile when it comes to preferred search engines. Yet, Microsoft will never go unheard. Enter "Bing" Microsoft's bid in the world of search engines.

Being an avid follower of Google, I find Bing troublesome in the same way I find a new pair of boots that will never quite fit right troublesome. I suppose this could be chalked up to the normal friction that comes from using a new piece of technology.

I'm playing around with Bing, comparing my findings with Google's and so far things have stayed pretty interesting. As interesting as they can when your comparing search engines that is.

First thing I searched for, "write for me" Google shows twice as many results as Bing. Could this be better optimization? Or is this just a new search engine not getting the full picture just yet? Honestly, I have no idea. I'll probably never need 500 million results. I don't really need 250 million results either.

Next, I searched something with a slightly vague, but much more obvious goal in mind, "Dave Tate". It isn't like searching for Chuck Norris. Tate isn't Bubba Gump, but he has a substantial following, all be it a tightly nit group.

Google brought me nearly 1million results. Again, I didn't look at them all, duh, but the first result was the man's store, exactly what I was looking for. Under that were articles and whatnot written by Mr. Tate.

Bing's results went in a different direction. Apparently there is a singer/songwriter named Dave Tate. Regardless, Google was more spot on in this instance with less than half of the results of Bing. This could point to social quirks on my part, sure. But I was looking for gym advice, not soothing melodies.

I have no idea what these searches mean just yet. Or if they mean anything at all. In some cases Google returned more results, in some Bing had more. I think there is enough space in the open spans that is the internet for more than a handful of super interesting search engines.

Each search engine will have its own way of finding the query, sometimes they will fail utterly, other times they may bring you exactly what you want. If you are die hard Bing'er, give Google a shot when you're frustrated and can't find what your after. Same thing goes for us Google folks. There is no reason why Bing and Google can't play nice.

No comments: